Cord blood is the blood collected from the umbilical cord and placenta immediately following a child's birth. This blood provides nourishment and oxygen to the baby during pregnancy, but once the baby is delivered, neither the umbilical cord (which carries the blood) nor the cord blood is needed by the child.

Cord blood banking is a process of collecting potentially powerful, lifesaving stem cells from the umbilical cord and placenta and storing them for future use.

Umbilical cord blood is rich in Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs), which are currently the most therapeutically valuable stem cells. HSC’s can replace bone marrow by differentiating into cells that can produce red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. These new cells produce the cellular ingredients necessary for the blood and the immune system and can rapidly create new blood for a patient.

HSCs have more than 30-years of continued use and research. These potent stem cells have been used in over 35,000 transplants worldwide and are currently being used to treat over 80 different diseases including: Leukemias, Lymphomas, Anemias, Inherited Immune system disorders & many more.

In addition, over 100 new cord blood transplant treatments are being actively researched and implemented worldwide. 

Learn more about cord blood treatments and clinical trials.

A 100% Genetic Match

Your baby is a 100% genetic match to his/her cord blood stem cells 2.

We always recommend families save each baby’s cord blood to ensure they have a complete genetic match. Siblings of the same biological parents have a 25% chance of being a perfect match, a 50% chance of being a partial match, and a 25% chance they won’t match at all. Biological parents will always be a partial match.

It is especially important for families of mixed ethnicities to consider storing their baby’s cord blood, as studies show that it’s more difficult for people of mixed ethnicities to find a stem cell match in a public bank 6.

Storing your baby’s cord blood ensures they will have HSC’s that are a 100% match to them.

Storing Both Cord Blood and Cord Tissue Creates More Treatment Options

By storing both your baby’s cord blood (which is rich in Hematopoietic Stem Cells or HSCs) and cord tissue (which contains Mesenchymal Stem Cells or MSCs), you’re storing two types of stems cells that are a 100% match to your baby – one with the current potential, and one with the future potential, to treat a wide range of injuries or diseases. 

Diseases Treated with Cord Blood

  • Acute Leukemia
  • Chronic Leukemia
  • Myelodysplastic Syndromes (Sometimes called Pre-Leukemia)
  • Lymphomas
  • Anemias
  • Inherited Red Cell (Erythrocyte) Abnormalities
  • Inherited Platelet Abnormalities
  • Inherited Immune System Disorders: Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID)
  • Inherited Immune System Disorders: Neutropenias
  • Lymphoproliferative Disorders
  • Myeloproliferative Disorders
  • Phagocyte Disorders
  • Bone Marrow Cancers