PROCESSING CORD BLOOD / CORD TISSUE
Once the medical courier has delivered the cord blood collection kit to our cord blood laboratory, we begin processing and analyzing your baby’s stem cells to determine how many transplantable cells are present. This multi-step sequence, outlined below, is designed to yield the highest potential from your baby’s cord blood and tissue. Once processing is completed, you will receive an Official Certificate of Results, which includes a detailed description of the collection volume and number of viable stem cells.
Maze Cord Blood uses Community Blood Services (CBS) to process cord blood and cord tissue. Founded over 70 years ago and one of the major suppliers of blood and blood products to hospitals in the NY/NJ region, CBS uses the state-of-the-art, fully automated Sepax S-100 processing system from Biosafe. The Sepax processing kit is a sterile, single-use, functionally closed system so that the cord blood never comes into contact with the external environment.
In the lab, the technician will:
- Run the mother’s blood through a wide variety of tests to ensure that there are no diseases present at the time of delivery that could have transferred to the child’s cord blood.
- Reduce the volume of the blood to about one quarter of the collected volume (approximately 25 ml or .85 ounces) by removing a large proportion of the red blood cells and plasma (liquid portion of the blood). The red blood cells and plasma do not need to be stored as they do not contain stem cells.
- Test the blood components left after processing, but before freezing, to check counts of CD34+, TNC, and 7-AAD cell viability in order to verify product quality.
- Add a cryo-preservative (55% DMSO/Dextran 40 solution) to the blood in a controlled manner through the utilization of an automated temperature controlled system, COOLMIX AS-210.
- The cooled cells and cryopreservative mixture are placed in a metal cassette and labeled with a unique identifying number.
CBS’s commitment to quality:
Community Blood Services (CBS) is a subsidiary of Blood Systems Inc. (BSI), one of the nation’s oldest and largest transfusion medical organizations serving some 700 hospitals from coast to coast and founding member of America’s Blood Centers and the AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks). CBS is dedicated to providing the highest quality products, and engages in sound and ethical business practices by maintaining all required regulatory licenses and certificates of accreditation:
- FDA Blood Establishment Registrations and Product Listings and Establishment Registrations and Listings for Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/Ps)
- New Jersey State Department of Health Clinical Laboratory and Blood Bank licenses
- New York State Department of Health Clinical Laboratory Permits and Tissue Bank Licenses
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services – Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) – Certificates of Accreditation
- NJDEP Radioactive Materials License
- Accreditation by AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks)
Quality and Safety
Achieving blood safety is a process that requires a solid scientific foundation, strict protocols, and meticulous adherence to these protocols to help realize the full potential of preventing, treating and curing blood-borne diseases. Understanding fundamental characteristics of blood, as well as the development of new technologies and methodologies, enables CBS to continually improve the science and practice of transfusion medicine.
CBS also follows applicable Department of Transportation and Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations and guidelines.
NEXT STEP: FREEZING & STORAGE